A place to talk about CG particles...
login.php?sid=46cb2df6a3cd8431c56140ef037af767 profile.php?mode=register&sid=46cb2df6a3cd8431c56140ef037af767 faq.php?sid=46cb2df6a3cd8431c56140ef037af767 memberlist.php?sid=46cb2df6a3cd8431c56140ef037af767 search.php?sid=46cb2df6a3cd8431c56140ef037af767 index.php?sid=46cb2df6a3cd8431c56140ef037af767

Orbaz Technologies Forum Index » Orbaz News » Particle Flow Masterclass at Siggraph 2006 (Boston)
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.  This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. View previous topic :: View next topic 
Particle Flow Masterclass at Siggraph 2006 (Boston)
PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2006 4:59 pm Reply with quote
Chris Thomas

Hi just a quick heads up for anyone who is attending Siggraph in Boston this year. I'll be giving a 3dsmax Masterclass there on Particle Flow. I've split my session up into two halves, here is a quick breakdown as to what each section will offer.

Scripted Tesla Coil (Lightning) System
In this 40 minute class I'll be showing a scripted PFlow system that aims to re-create one of those crazy Tesla Coil doodads that scientist have a habit of building in their back gardens. Here's a picture of one such "mini" coil in action...

Crazy eh

This PFlow system uses quite a number of inter connected scripted Operators in conjunction with standard PFlow techniques to create a pretty cool simulation of one of these high voltage spectacles. I'm just putting the wraps on this system now, I'll try and post some images, and also an animation of it in action in a few days time.

PFlow/Dataflow Based Tornado System
The second 40 minute section is on a Tornado system that uses Orbaz's new Box#3 system Dataflow. Dataflow allows you to create your own hard wired Operators from a set of sub-operators in pretty much the same kind of workflow as with the PFlow Particle View. The benefit here is that there Operators are easier to put together than scripted Ops, and they are a whole magnitude faster to calculate.

This class will not show a fully rendered up final product, but rather three custom operators that create the basic Tornado system that you can then go on and embelish to your hearts content. Still, I think it will amply demonstrate just why Dataflow is going to change Particle Flow usage across the board. I'll post an animation of this in action in a couple of days.

Here is a link to a PDF that lists all of the classes available. My class is on day two (Wednesday 2nd August) from 9.00am to 10.30 am.

http://images.autodesk.com/adsk/fil...ent_details.pdf

We (CG Academy) will also be selling our boxed sets outside the class at a show special price of 15% off. If you only want single DVDs, you can pick those up (again for 15% off) at the Autodesk stand within the exhibition hall. Hope you can make it along to the class, it should be cool.

Cheers

Also, Lighting/FX TD
PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2006 5:07 pm Reply with quote
Chris Thomas

A quick update on the class material. As promised, here is a preview video of the Tornado segment of the class. Click on the link below to watch

http://www.christopher-thomas.net/streaming/Tornado_System.mov

Cheers

Also, Lighting/FX TD
PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2006 7:13 pm Reply with quote
Chris Thomas

And here's another update as promised. This time its the Tesla Coil system. This one is built up from a whole suite of Pflow Script Operators, plus of course standard Particle Flow Operators.

http://www.christopher-thomas.net/streaming/Tesla_Coil.mov

Cheers

Also, Lighting/FX TD
Particle Flow Masterclass at Siggraph 2006 (Boston)
Orbaz Technologies Forum Index » Orbaz News