A place to talk about CG particles...
login.php?sid=7dcbb7acd011fe76215c42d4e4b2747d profile.php?mode=register&sid=7dcbb7acd011fe76215c42d4e4b2747d faq.php?sid=7dcbb7acd011fe76215c42d4e4b2747d memberlist.php?sid=7dcbb7acd011fe76215c42d4e4b2747d search.php?sid=7dcbb7acd011fe76215c42d4e4b2747d index.php?sid=7dcbb7acd011fe76215c42d4e4b2747d

Orbaz Technologies Forum Index » Particle Flow Tools: Box#3 » Select particles by event?
Select particles by event?
PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2006 4:10 pm Reply with quote
Chad

I'd like to have the particles in an event be used as an object. So I want to get prevalent speed of some particles in another event. How would I do that?

Actually, this goes to another problem I have...

I have a collision operator, and I want the particles that test true for the collision be used in the data operator. So I want to get the speed of the particles after they collide to be used to influence the particles that did not collide, to get a sort of stretchy tearing effect.

But I can't seem to find a way to filter by the collision, or have it set any data channel. Nor can I filter by event.

- Chad
PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2006 11:43 pm Reply with quote
Oleg
Site Admin

Here's what you can do:

1. Create a custom data channel in the initial event. The custom data channel is boolean, and it is initialized with false value. The data channel has to be made as Global in order to give access to this data channel for other Data Operators. In the image below it's Data Operator 01.

2. In the next event, the custom data channel is set to true - see Data Operator 02 in Event 02. This way, by inspecting this data channel you can find out what event a particle is in.

3. Right below the Collision operator you can place the Data Operator for speed setting. The setup is somewhat similar to the setup in the example ProxySpeedInfluence.max that is installed with the plug-in. The PF Source 01 is used as a proxy particle system, and we use the boolean custom channel as a filter for Proxy particles.

Thanks,
Oleg B.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2006 10:00 am Reply with quote
Chad

Why is Data Operator 2 not wired up?

So the global custom data channel is the method by which different events are able to communicate with each other, in this case as a filter for the select object/particle proxy. Ok, I can digest that.

Oh look, the particles are stretching and tearing. Neat. Though the Prevalent Speed is a rather bit slow, it seems to get the job done.

Thank you for the help.
PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2006 10:55 am Reply with quote
Oleg
Site Admin

Quote:
Why is Data Operator 2 not wired up?

That was just for illustration purposes.

Quote:
So the global custom data channel is the method by which different events are able to communicate with each other...

Global custom data channels are for communication between different Data Operators - whatever events they are in.

Quote:
Though the Prevalent Speed is a rather bit slow...

The calculations for inter-particle relations are CPU intensive. That's why we have the Cache Disk operator now - to calculate it once, and play it fast.

Thanks,
Oleg B.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2015 10:11 am Reply with quote
Madog

Hallo!

I'm not sure what am I doing wrong.

In short:
in PF1: Blue exists, then goes into Purple

in PF2: Green exists, then particles in some proximity SHOULD go Red IF in PF1 particles goes Purple.

Right now I've managed to do the opposite. Particles drops from Red event. I don't know how to overwrite true information from event001 (or something that will work).

Edit: and maybe another: is it possible to animate proximity radius per particle entering purple group?

selection_problem.png
 Description:
 Filesize:  403.07 KB
 Viewed:  2221 Time(s)

selection_problem.png

particles_into_event_based_on_radius_n_activation.max
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  particles_into_event_based_on_radius_n_activation.max
 Filesize:  1.12 MB
 Downloaded:  209 Time(s)

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2015 6:17 pm Reply with quote
jrandom

Seems like something is weird with the filter. It works in reverse, meaning the source 1 event2 particles that are purple do not have red particles around them. Upon switching the boolean, nothing happens, all source 1 particles have red particles around them.

I tried removing the selection and just using particles in source 1 event 002, it makes no difference. I thought it may have been a history dependency issue, that doesn't seem to have any effect either.

I can't figure it out. Confused Sad

Orbaz Technologies Forum Index » Particle Flow Tools: Box#3